The governing body currently consists of 11 governors and two associate members. The term of office for all types of governor is 4 years unless otherwise stated. At the end of the term, governors may be re-appointed, subject to the procedure described below. More details about each of the governors can be found on the Governor Profiles page.
Staff Governors (Headteacher + 1)
- The headteacher is a staff governor by virtue of their office.
- Other staff, both teaching and support, may become governors as long as they are paid (volunteers do not qualify)
- Elected by the school staff. Any election that is contested must be held by ballot.
- May stand for re-election at end of term of office.
Current Staff Governors:
- Mrs Emma Coleman (Headteacher) (01/04/2009 – )
- Mrs Michelle Bailey (18/10/2016 – 17/10/2020)
Foundation Governors (2)
- Foundation governors are responsible for preserving and developing the school’s religious character.
- Appointed by the school’s founding body. In the case of Horspath School, the vicar of St Giles, Horspath Parish Church is a governor by virtue of their office, and is responsible for appointing the other foundation governors.
- May be reappointed by the founding body at the end of term of office.
Current Foundation Governors:
- Rev. Emma Pennington (01/09/2012 – )
- Mrs Gillian Nightall (20/09/2016 – 19/09/2020)
Local Authority Governor (1)
Appointed by the governing body, based on nomination by the Local Authority (in the case of Horspath School, this is Oxfordshire County Council via its Governor Services department). May be reappointed at the end of term of office.
Current Local Authority Governor:
- Mr Peter Dobson (01/03/2015 – 28/02/2019)
Parent Governors (4)
- Parents, including carers, of pupils are eligible to stand for election as governors
- Elected by other parents at the school.
- May be reappointed by standing for re-election.
- Parent governors do not need to resign when their child leaves the school, but they may not stand for re-election at the end of their term if they no longer have children at the school.
- If insufficient parents stand for election, the governing body may appoint parents of current pupils; if no parent of a current pupil can be appointed, parents of former pupils may be appointed.
Current Parent Governors:
- Mrs Janet Crooks (12/10/2015 – 11/10/2019)
- Mrs Munaza Dogar (Chair of Governors) (10/02/2015 – 09/02/2019)
- Mr Philip Goodliffe (13/09/2016 – 12/09/2020)
- Prof. Chris Rodgers (13/09/2016 – 12/09/2020)
Co-opted Governors (2)
Appointed by the governing body. They are people who in the opinion of the governing body have the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school.
Current Co-opted Governors:
- Mr Richard Hughes (Vice Chair of Governors) (20/09/2016 – 19/09/2020)
- Mrs Sarah Herring (01/03/2015 – 28/02/2019)
- Appointed by the governing body to serve on one or more governing body committee. They may also attend full governing body meetings. They do not have a vote in governing body decisions, but may be given a vote on decisions made by committees to which they are appointed.
- Appointed because of the specific expertise and experience they can contribute to the effective governance and success of the school.
Current Associate Members:
- Mrs Rebecca Brown (28/06/2016 – 27/06/2017)
The following governors have stepped down in the last 12 months
- Mr Noel Skeats, Parent Governor, Feb 2013 to July 2016
- Mrs Barbara Lewis, Foundation Governor, Oct 2012 to Sept 2016