The present school was preceded by a small school for nine children, established between 1738 and 1759, with the minister as the paid teacher. In the very early 19th century, a second school had opened, with fourteen children attending, although after 1815 there seems to be no further record. In 1825, the Minister, Dr Ellerton, MA, bought two cottages with some land; one cottage to be a dwelling for the schoolmistress, and the other to be a place of education for between twelve and fifteen poor children. They were to be members of the Church; the boys learnt reading, writing and the Catechism, and the girls simply sewing, knitting and marking. But by 1835 the school had not been started. In 1854 there is a record of one day school for 35 and a Sunday School for 50.
In 1856 Magdalen College advanced £100 for the building of the present school, opened in 1858, and the two cottages were annexed to the perpetual curacy of Horspath. In 1864 a further £50 from the college provided a house for the schoolmaster. By 1871 there was a room for up to 71 pupils, but only 48 regularly attended. The school was further enlarged in 1873, allowing up to 100 pupils. In 1905 the school was substantially enlarged again, with medical examinations provided from 1907, and disinfectant introduced for use in the classrooms! 1910 saw the house completely remodelled, and between 1903 and 1914, the average attendance was 75 to 80 children.
After the Second World War, all children reaching the age of 11 then went to Wheatley or Littlemore Schools and the school was reorganised as a Church school for juniors and infants.
The photos on this page are reproduced with kind permission of the Oxfordshire History Centre who own the copyright on all the images. Clicking each image will take you to pictureoxon.com where you can see more details. Few of the photos have exact dates, but are believed to have been taken between 1900 and 1910. The exception to this is the last photo, which is dated 1914.